MONDAY
Forum
TUESDAY
Interiors and Exteriors
WEDNESDAY
Portraits
THURSDAY
Art and Design
FRIDAY
Fashion
SUNDAY
Objects and Antiquities

Tuesday, April 24

HIGHGATE CEMETERY


I took a romantic morning walk with my beloved through Highgate Cemetery.  I can't imagine a better time of year to visit than spring.  Beautiful in its unkept state, moody in the newly appearing green, the place was rich and heavy with an atmosphere of time and history.  It's appropriate that George Eliot (1819-1880) is buried here as that atmosphere seems to evoke the tone of her novels.  You'll find her in the area reserved for religious dissenters or agnostics.  These grounds are located near Hampstead Heath, where I wish I could have  spent more time. The images are of the eastern cemetery, which opened in 1856.  The western cemetery, across the street, was the original cemetery established in 1839.  Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to tour the western location, but I look forward to returning and doing so.  I will then, also, take the opportunity to really explore Hampstead Heath and document its beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment